The magnificent Ensign was the largest land plane built in the prewar days. First flown in 1938 this four-engined, high wing monoplane designed and built specially for Imperial Airways Ltd. As usual, in Bristish large airliners of that era, the Ensign was built in meagre number (only 14). After initial problems the Ensign proved to be decent asset. Its main defect was its lack of performances; it was born underpowered with its Armstrong Siddeley Tigers. Eventually most of them were reengined with the more powerful American Wright Cyclone (Ensign II).
On the outbreak of the war in Sept 1939, they were camouflaged went into RAF service. Later they were operated by BOAC until 1946. Withdraw for service,and with no takers, they were sadly broken up.
Superb Dunlop tyres ad.