During The Great War the AEG company produced sound, but somehow uninspired two-seat biplane reconnaissance aircrafts. An evolution of the 1915 C.II, the 1916 C.IV was by far the most produced -and,of course,successful- of the AEG C-types. As usual in German aircraft of that war, it was not an increase in power (just 10hp more than the C.II) what improved the performance; a larger wingspan, quite evident in this pic, did the trick. It was better armed also with an added forward-firing 7.92mm Maxim MG 08 machine gun.
Precious document of a day at the Fliegerabteilung 243 (Artillerie) taken at Colmar (Alsacie). Of note the mechanic carrying the observer’s Parabellum LMG 14 and one of the C.IV’s crew with his unmistakable “Flieger” leather crash helmet.