The Ö 1 was conceived mainly by Gösta von Porat while he was undertaking an aeronautics studies course in France in 1919, Henry Kjellson completed refined later the design the FVM. This cute advanced trainer first flew in 1920. The “Tummelisa” was powered by a 90hp Thulin (Le-Rhône) rotary engine. A quite straightforward biplane with nice handling qualities, the around 30 built were operated by the Swedish AF until 1935.
The Ö 1 in this magnificent artwork was one the of mounts of the “Four Aces” display team -one of the World’s first. A very original replica still embellishes the air with these colours.
Artist: Roger H. Middlebrook.