The kurir (Courier) was a two/three-seat light cabin monoplane designed in the middle 1950’s to meet a Yugoslav Army requirement for an aircraft suitable for liaison, army observation and ambulance. All that with Short take-Off and Landing (STOL) capabilities. Its designers didn’t have too look very far to find inspiration. The Kurir is in fact a sort of scaled-down Fieseler Storch, but of all metal construction. Like the Fi-156, these neat little things turned out to be quite handy and beloved. The around 145 built served efficiently with the Yugoslav Peoples Army until 1972 when they’re replaced by helicopters. After that, the military released them to civilian aeroclubs where they were used mainly as glider-tugs.
A standard production DM-6R powered Kurir all down and dirty, just like another little stork.
A Mil Mi-6 crew member comrade havin’ fun with a former totalitarian foe. The clock was already ticking for the USSR Communism too. How times flies.
If only that Stuka‘s wreck would be still there…
Developed during the early 1930’s to fulfil a 1932 Aéronavale long-range maritime reconnaissance flying boat requirement, the little known Loire 70 couldn’t be more French. A real tour de force: squarish, with a very “nautical” flight deck, draggy with its three definitive 500 hp Gnome et Rhône 9Kbr pylon-mounted (two tractors and a pusher, bien sûre), …. well, utterly lovely in a bizarre way. Four long years passed from its first flight in 1933 until the very handful (just seven production aircraft plus the prototype) entered service due to technical problems and initial low powered engines. They saw peace & war service in the Mediterranean with Escadrille E.7 until the early summer of 1940, when the Italian destroyed the bulk of those still in service in an air raid.
Anyway, a beast with character, maybe even charisma. Another superb head on view; it must be the day.
A gorgeously brand new Halberstadt D.II in all its serene cuteness. A deadly war machine it was though.
Photo: Peter M. Grosz’s collection (again).
Mediterranean Theatre of Operations (MTO), Lesina (Italy). P-38L Lightning (44-25734) “Betts II” of the 71st FS (1st Fighter Group) served as a background for this “Special” made with a Lightning drop tank. That sharkmouth touch was almost inevitable in cases like this.
The two very different aircraft exposed inside the Principe Felipe Science Museum (City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia). With the biplane named after him Juan Olivert Serra undertook the first motorised flight in Spain in Sep 5. 1909 (Paterna, Valencia). The other name carrier by this pioneer biplane was the one of its designer: Gaspar Brunet Viadera.
The Mirage IIIEE (C.11-7/111-4) has a long experience in this matters. Severely burned years ago, without loss of life thankfully, this Mirage was cosmetically repaired and placed on a pylon, close to an old Sabre (this one) in a prominent place at the Manises Air Base. After the Manises AB closure it “flew” to its actual placement. Poor little things…., not a fan of Calatrava’s “cloned things”.
By the way, this just “out of the oven” awful photo is mine. Be merciful.
The inherent complexity and beauty of the business end of the Lightning F-3’s pair of RR Avon 301R engines. Gorgeously British.