In fact, the B-58’s form of pre-recorded female voice warning system provided by Nortronics Division of Northrop Corporation was recorded by actress and singer Joan Elms, not by Gina Drazin. The crew referred to that voice as “Sexy Sally” or as “The (Old) Bitch”…. since she always brought bad tidings.
Photo taken from the July 1962 issue “Popular Science”.
Some sort of ultra low-aspect ratio experiment undertook by the Japanese in the 1920’s(?). They took this Nieuport 24 (or Nakajima type Ko 3) fuselage and equipped it with this bizarre, and I mean bizarre, wing structure. Sadly, the photo came with no really trustful data.
A Hispano Aviación HA-1112 M1L in its authentic Ejército del Aire (Spanish AF) colors sharing tarmac space with some of Strategic Air Command (SAC) huge irons at the old Air Force Museum (Wright-Patterson AFB) in the late 1960’s. One of them is the second Peacemaker built, YB-36 (42-13571) -rebuilt as a RB-36E. This prototype was he original Peacemaker selected for display at the old Air Force Museum premises. For not disclosed reason, it was actually not moved to the new museum premises. Even worst, 42-13571 was scrapped…with a bulldozer. Sinful to say the very least. The sad remains still linger on Walter Soplata’s farm. The one now displayed in the new museum was flown to the site of the new museum in 1959 and was the last flight of a B-36.
This strange “thing” was a test vehicle employed by Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm (MBB) to validate the fly-by-wire control systems intended for the future generation of fighters. With the help of ballast to change the centre of gravity CoG, this Fokker-built F-104 was transformed from a conventional naturally stable aircraft into a unstable platform. Equipped with a triple.redundant fly-by-wire system, this Control Configured Vehicle (CCV) testbed took the skies in 1977. Not having enough, in 1980 a sort of vestigial F-104’s tailplane was added on the forward spine also for aerodynamic destabilizing purposes. The very profitable data acquired during its tests helped in the design of both the X-31 and the EFA.
That extra tail sure did the trick. More and More.
Behold the Glory. This Tu-4 (aircraft 94/1) engine testbed had its no. 3 ASh-73Tk engine replaced by “half a Tu-91”; the entire forward/center fuselage of Tupolev’s “aircraft 91” naval strike aircraft. This Tu-4LL was flown in this configuration in 1954.
Almost cartoonist that “91” nose. Incredible aviation era, those were the times.
Main info source.
Curious the misuse of the term “Fokker” in this recent ad; Done on purpose or a mistake?. “Fokker” was used quite often by Allied pilots during the war in reference to the Focke-Wulf Fw 190. That trend, no doubt, had its roots in the WW1 “Fokker Scourge”.
Weird also the shape of this Spitfire. ML407 was a war veteran converted into a two-seat trainer in 1950. The late Nick Grace acquired it in late 1979 from the Strathallan Museum and spent five years restoring the Spitfire to flying condition. A gifted engineer, Grace also created for its Spitfire the so-called “Grace in line Canopy Conversion”: the bulbous rear canopy could be removed in order to keep somehow the original line of the Spitfire almost intact. That configuration is clearly depicted in here.
By the way, not a bad ale, not bad at all.
Still standing proudly. A superb E13E survivor in the idyllic, now, Solomon Islands.
Summer is almost here.