In August 16, 1966 an Iraqi MiG-21F-13, the then ultimate fighter in the various Arab air forces, landed at Hatzor (Israel). Flown by a defector, Munir Redfa, this fighter was acquired by the Israeli through the elaborate “Operation Diamond” carried out by the famous Mossad, the national intelligence agency. The MiG was thoroughly evaluated by its happy new owners and the lessons learned were rapidly distributed. The Israel AF crews made good use of that data during next year (1967) Six-Days War. Later, in 1968, this very aircraft was lent to the USAF and was evaluated in the remote Nevada.
Seen here next to the MiG-21F-13 “007”, a truly appropriate number, is the renowned pilot Danny Shapira. Shapira was the test pilot who undertook the bulk of the tests.
The Vihuri (Gale) became the main advanced single-engined trainer aircraft of the Finish AF during the 1950’s. Designed to replace the VL Pyry, the Vihuri prototype made its first flight in 1951 and the model was soon ordered into production. Around 50 were produced. All weren’t roses though. Several accidents -one of them even took the life of the prime minister’s son- and the safety concerns associated grounded for good the Vihuri in 1959. As an aside, a number of Vihuri’s cockpit canopies were salvaged to be employed as….roof windows in the recycling plant. They are still there.
Not a success story, but they were neat looking aircraft anyway. A balanced and clean design with a lovely Bristol Mercury engine as a plus. The shiny first prototype (VH-1) in the usual snowy Suomi airfield.
One of the various second-hand Vikings acquired by Channel Airways in the late 1950’s/early 1960’s. Gorgeously captured here landing at the then called “London Southend Airport”. This photo sure takes you back in time.
This sturdy tandem two-seat basic trainer was designed in the early 1940’s to be easily operated from the high-altitude alpine airfields. The situation of Switzerland at that time, in the middle of WW2, determined its characteristics: mixed construction, German engines and the use of previous models parts. First flown in the Spring of 1945, the P-2’s only served with their home country air force and only around 50 were built, some of them armed. The Swiss operated them until 1981, a good testimony of the P-2’s qualities. Their main claim of fame is their later use on movies as “Luftwaffe” aircraft.
A magnificent surviving specimen here. Prominent the characteristic nose affair of the German Argus As 410 cowling and the finned spinner of the Argus “autopich” aircrew. The landing gear design is clearly taken from the Bf 109. Obvious why it didn’t looked out of place with Balkenkreuzs.
Photo: Pavel Vanka.
The Tu-144D (CCCP-77112) devoid of wings and tail feathers on its way to the Auto & Technik Museum, Sinsheim, Oct. 2000. With less than 200 flight hours to its credit. Such a waste.
Humble end for something that looked, in every way, bound for the stars.
James B. Talbot, president of Richfield Oil, ordered for his own personal use this posh F.10A Super Universal in 1928. We can see it here overflying the brand new Los Angeles City Hall in 1929, the tallest building of that city until 1964.
Ready for some “round & round”. The open mouth of the centrifuge at the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center in Star City.
Too irreverent perhaps, but I can help it. Kermit?