The two very different aircraft exposed inside the Principe Felipe Science Museum (City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia). With the biplane named after him Juan Olivert Serra undertook the first motorised flight in Spain in Sep 5. 1909 (Paterna, Valencia). The other name carrier by this pioneer biplane was the one of its designer: Gaspar Brunet Viadera.
The Mirage IIIEE (C.11-7/111-4) has a long experience in this matters. Severely burned years ago, without loss of life thankfully, this Mirage was cosmetically repaired and placed on a pylon, close to an old Sabre (this one) in a prominent place at the Manises Air Base. After the Manises AB closure it “flew” to its actual placement. Poor little things…., not a fan of Calatrava’s “cloned things”.
By the way, this just “out of the oven” awful photo is mine. Be merciful.
The very “Jules Verne-sque” central nacelle of the Juandó’s “Multíptero” or “Flugilarillo seen here in his “El Genio Mecánico” factory, Modolell de Sant Gervasi street (Barcelona). The inventor is the one pointing.
The little known Catalan inventor and industrialist Cristòfol Juandó i Rafecas (1848-1917) also took a chance with the nascent aviation fever of the turn of the century. He even created a company, the “Compañía Universal de Navegación Aérea”, to promote his project. Sadly, little has survived of his efforts of 1901-02. About his aircraft, Juandó described it bizarrely as a “..sort of rotative wing equipped with blades which open and close at the right moments…”. The intended engine was a 24 hp 4-cylinder Buchet. Some sources say he did build a full-sized aircraft, but without given further data. Anyway, lacking the financial resources necessary, Juandó tried to interest the always lethargic Spanish government. He persevered unsuccessfully in that endeavour until the early 1910’s and after that obscurity.
This add gives us a certain idea, or not, of what was going on in Juandó’s brainchild. It looked like small size model of the real thing. Unairworthy at first sight(?).
The Model A was the first aircraft the Wright Brothers offered for sale, becoming in the process the first aircraft to be produced in series anywhere in the world. Produced in-house by the brothers, they also sold the production license overseas. Germany was by far where the highest number of license-built Wright saw the light: the Flugmaschine Wright GmbH made around 60 of them.
Utterly impressive photo. A Prussian horseman looking at his nemesis.
This unbelievable “thing” was the fruit of an idea patented by Giuseppe P. Ottino and George A. Wyllie in 1909. They called it a “direct lift device” and was exhibited at the Olympia in March 1910. No more data available, but a non-flyer a first sight. Anyway, they were not alone in such a quest.
This charming “Le Jaune” depiction was card number 3 of 50 in the Brook Bond Tea History of Aviation series. Those collectives defined the way of doing things in an era long gone.
The Farman III was the first “Farman” really built by Henry Farman in 1909 -he had been bought the other two from the Voisin brothers. A world-beating design, this basic design saw countless imitators. In fact, the aircraft produced with its general layout were generally referred as of the “Farman” type.
Taken at the Los Angeles International Air Meet of 1910, the subject of this superb photo was one of the more famous Farman III’s users: Louis Paulhan. While he was touring America with one pair of Bleriots and another of Farman III’s, Paulhan was invited to take part in the various contests of that meeting. He proceeded to win them all and a nice sum of $19,000. The photo depicts Paulhan setting up a new altitude record of 4,164ft; a huge improvement over his own previous record of just 1,900ft.
The LZ 3 was the first really practical airship constructed by the Count. At last a large array of horizontal fins/elevators were added and they provided the necessary pitch control and stability. Not only that the LZ 3 also displayed definite improvements in power, speed, range, and payload. As a result longer and more reliable flights were achieved, included a flight of 8 hours in 1907.
The Prince Egon of Fürstenberg and the Kaiser Wilhelm II taking a look at the latest of Zeppelin marvels at the Donaueschingen castle. Both them, as an institution, and the Zeppelin airships had already their days numbered. A few more years for the Zeppelins granted, but only as testimonial survivors of their supporters’ stubbornness.